|“||I’ve got you, Sweetheart, I’ve got you.||”|
– Chapter 61, House of Earth and Blood
Orion "Hunt" Athalar is an infamous fallen angel who works for the Archangels as a personal assassin.
Hunt, born Orion, was born into a poor family, in Shahar’s territory in the southeast of Pangera. He never knew his father, but his mother worked very hard to look after him. When he was old enough, he joined the army in order to support him and his mother. Hunt would send money back to his mother, which she would store away. After hearing of this, a group of people broke into his mother's home, killing her to steal the money Hunt had sent.
This led him to become a general in the uprising that sought to overthrow the Imperial Senate. Shahar was the leader of the uprising as well as Hunt’s lover. When the uprising failed, Shahar was killed, and Hunt became a slave along with everyone else who was part of the uprising. For the first seven years, he was tortured until the Archangel Ramuel became his master. Ramuel continued the pattern for two more years until he got bored with it, and realized that Hunt would be more useful dispatching demons and doing his bidding than rotting away in torture chambers. Over a course of 200 years, Hunt spent his time being a slave passed around by the leaders of the world until he ended up in the Crescent City, and became a slave to Micah Domitus.
Micah offered Hunt a bargain: as Hunt had led the 18th Legion on Mount Hermon, he was responsible for all 2,217 deaths that he and the rebels he led took. This meant that Hunt must kill 2,217 people of Micah's choice, as Micah's personal assassin, in order to one day gain his freedom.
Hunt has grey angel wings. His eyes are described as angular with dark brown coloring. He had a thorn halo on his forehead which controlled his power after he was enslaved; however, this was later removed. He also has shoulder-length dark hair and light brown skin. He used to have a slave's mark on his wrist, but it is now stamped with a “C” over the mark, showing that Hunt is no longer a slave.
Powers & Abilities
- Malakim physiology: As an angel, Hunt has physical abilties and enhanced senses that make him far stronger than both humans and Vanir, including Fae, such as his fight with Ruhn. His physical abilties had served him well in battle - both under Shahar and Micah - and was powerful enough to contend with members of his own kind, such as when he decapitated Sandriel in the Summit, and hunt demons across Midgard.
- Lightning: Hunt has the power to create and manipulate lightning. Unlike most Malakim, this ability is unheard of and unique only to Hunt so far. Its powerful enough to destroy an entire building, and scorch entire battlefields to sunders, which Shahar and Micah have used to their advantages in the past.
- Flight: Through his Malakim wings, Hunt is able to fly. He is also capable of carrying people in his arms while he flies.
- Immortality: Having made the Drop, Hunter is immortal which not only has granted him a far greater lifespan, but has allowed him to live through injuries that not even his accelerated healing would be able to regenerae from.
During Bryce's investigation into Danika's death on behalf of Micah Domitus, Hunt grew close to Bryce and began a relationship with her. They have a classic enemies-to-lovers relationship: at first, they only tolerated each other due to direct orders for the Archangel, Micah, but as the investigation matures, they start to form a tight friendship. Bryce stated that she knew Hunt was her friend ever since he pulled out Jelly Jubilee. Their romantic relationship develops, and when Hunt was on his deathbed, Bryce whispered 'I Love You' to him before making the Drop.
See more here
- Hunt's true name is Orion, given to him by his mother who began calling him hunter as a nickname, which was eventually shortened to Hunt.
- In Greek Mythology, Orion was a hunter who, according to certain iterations of the myth, went mad - or was driven mad - and was killed by the gods after going on a hunting spree. His likeness was placed amongst the stars as a constellation.
- Hunt owns a sunball hat, which has a high sentimental value to him. It was the first thing he bought when he came to Lunathion, with the first paycheck he ever received from Micah.